Can't seem to alter either a vertex or an edge

Hey Tigers

In GSQL, I issued the following commands:

GSQL-Dev > use graph Collaboration

GSQL-Dev > ALTER VERTEX Person ADD ATTRIBUTE (page_rank FLOAT)

The alter statement was accepted by GSQL and I think I got the syntax correct. However,

GSQL-Dev > ls

Vertex Types:

• VERTEX Person(PRIMARY_ID pid UINT, id STRING, community INT) WITH STATS=“OUTDEGREE_BY_EDGETYPE”

instead of the new declaration

Vertex Types:

• VERTEX Person(PRIMARY_ID pid UINT, id STRING, community INT, page_rank FLOAT ) WITH STATS=“OUTDEGREE_BY_EDGETYPE”

What did I wrong?

Also, the addition of a new attribute necessitates updating the CREATE LOAD JOB as well. So, perhaps it’s easier just to modify the LOAD and CREATE and just start over?

Also, the Developer’s edition does not support multi-graph, so a user can only load and work on one graph at a time, and that means all the queries must be re-loaded and re-installed. Is that just how things are or is there a more efficient way to work?

Thx for your help.

SH

Hi SH,

This feature is not possible with developer edition.

However, you would still need to create a schema change job : https://docs.tigergraph.com/dev/gsql-ref/ddl-and-loading/modifying-a-graph-schema#create-global-schema_change-job

and include the alter statements within the job.

Thanks,

Kevin

SH, we can provide temporary enterprise licenses if you want to engage with our sales team.

Let me know if that is something you want to do, and I’\ll PM you contact details.

Regards

Richard Henderson

Solution Architect

Hi Kevin and Rik

Got it. I have wasted like half hour trying to figure out why it wasn’t working. It’d be great to have a readme file detailing the limitation of the Developer’s edition. I’m sure I’ll encounter more (eg. Multi-mode in the GSQL algorithms is not supported in Developer’s edition), it’d be great to know where the limitations are so I don’t spin my wheels.

I am doing this for my personal research/project/study, I will not be migrating to a full-fledged license. So, I don’t make an attractive prospect for John. :slight_smile:

Regards,

SH

Hi SH,

There is a feature comparison page in our documentation: https://docs.tigergraph.com/comparison-of-editions

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Yes, I have looked through that document and the limitation b/n these two editions are all expected.

I suppose the “alter” function is a part of dynamic schema change?

Yes, that’s correct. It is grouped by generalized topics.