Disabled run query in GraphStudio

I have saved a query in GraphStudio - just the default template without any changes.
The “Run Query” button above is always greyed-out, regardless of what I write in the Query.

What am I missing?
Thanks!

Could you try to install the query first by click on the 3rd button from the top?

Thanks.

Yes, that works, but documentation says it should run without installing as well (by way of interpreting):

Run Query in Interpreted Mode
If you have saved the query and there is no errors in the query, you can run the query in interpreted mode.

It is quiet a burden to wait for installation for every change in the query…
btw, how can I send queries from my Windows local machine?

Interrupted Queries (the ability to run a query without installing) is a feature introduced in the newer versions of TigerGraph. @morsagmon Do you know what version of TigerGraph you are running? If it’s an older version this feature might not be there.

Thanks Jon. I couldn’t find the version I’m using.
I’m doing my first steps with TG and TigerStudio…

@morsagmon
Are you using tgcloud or is it a local installation ?

I’m using tgcloud, nothing installed locally (yet). I’m currently stuck with these questions:

1. I found this GSQL manual. Is this the only source for learning GSQL? Are you aware of any online courses or tutorials?
  2. This quick tutorial assumes a Linux terminal working against an Enterprise TG edition (and only demonstrates an upload job). I have a Windows machine and I’m using TG Cloud. How can I use some terminal on my machine to send queries using a shell, or even better, send REST requests to my Cloud DB?
  3. On TG Could, I cannot run queries. First of all, running in interpreted mode is not available, and trying to write a simple query such as SHOW VERTEX is flagged as wrong. I can’t even find the TG Cloud version I’m using. Is it possible I’m not on version 3.0?
  4. Where can I manage DB users and permissions? I couldn’t find this in the Admin Portal under User Management.
  5. How can I change my graph name from MyGraph to something else?

Thanks!

if you see the “Build Graph Patterns” menue then you are on 3.x

I would suggest you to go through our GSQL101 and GSQL102 tutorials for the start:

Using tgcloud you can add new user, if you go to Admin Portal → User management → All users tab and clicking on add user button:

Graph name cannot be changed, you can add new graph and give it a name you like.

Cloud instances are using REST on port 9000:

Thank you, Bruno, for assisting me with this.

I don’t have the “Build Graph Patterns”. I guess that explains why I cannot interpret queries.

I don’t have any option to add users in the Admin Portal. I’m still on the free tier account, maybe that’s the reason. I guess I can live with that for the time being, as long as I will be able to learn GSQL and experiment with simple dev of client-server testing functions.

The 101 tutorial and the REST API tutorial are assuming I have a Linux terminal. I’m on Windows, is there any client shell I need to install?
Also, they assume I have TG installed locally (hitting localhost). I could not understand where I can find my tgcloud graph end point to submit http requests to.

I wonder, am I the first to attempt this scenario from a Windows machine with tgcloud? this seems to be basic info needed to get things going. What am I missing?

Thanks!
Mor

I think much easier way to learn would be to install TG locally (i.e. using Docker and Docker compose).

If you want to use compose, you will need a docker-compose.yaml file (TigerGraph/tigergraph at master · xpertmind/TigerGraph · GitHub), save it in a folder and deploy a new instance is just a single line:
docker-compose up -d

Yaml file can be edited using a simple text editor (I’m using https://atom.io) so you can play with settings, ports etc.

With docker you will have the benefit logging into the instance without need of using SSH. You just “exec” a shell prompt:
docker-compose exec sh -c “su - tigergraph”

For tgcloud instance you put the URL of your server (https://myserver.i.tgcloud.io:9000)instead of localhost. Maybe you should terminate your 2.x solution and use a new one with 3.x deployment.

Thanks, Bruno.

I could install locally to learn GSQL maybe, but it won’t help me with a POC of a Lambda function from AWS authenticating and requesting queries to read/write from the tgcloud instance…

As for the host name of my tgcloud instance - where can I find it?

Is upgrading to tgcloud 3.x in my control? can I do it?

Like you said, a local instance would be good for learning.

The name of your instance is the URL where GraphStudio and Admin Portal are running - just replace port 14230 with 9000.

Upgrading from 2.x to 3.x is not possible - you will need to terminate the 2.x instance and start a new one using 3.x. You can have only one free instance.